Thursday, September 6, 2007

Lunch Table Conversation


A couple of years ago, a friend told me never to go the lunch room, describing it as a place full of perpetual complainers. I guess I am just too social to not visit the Hala Tree Cafe once a day. My time in the lunch room has made me realize that the majority of people are not complaining, rather they are looking to have conversations about the nuances of teaching, learning, and life. Please understand that I am not naive to the fact that there are a minority of people who do not fit into the previous statement. But, instead of creating two groups of people, I assume that ALL teachers want to have a conversation about helping students and the lunch room may be the perfect venue for that conversation.
Over the past couple of days, I have had some really insightful conversations over the lunch table. The other day, a colleague of mine talked about helping a student who really struggles academically. She talked about how, in a small group setting, this student showed extreme interest and excitement for the material. The conversation then moved to talking about having a particular class for struggling English students. I questioned how can we replicate this positive experience for more than just one student in one particular class? How we can manipulate our instruction to help meet the needs of all students in all classes? I believe we can learn from the success of each other, replicating solid instructional strategies for all students.
Yesterday the lunch room conversation centered around our own experiences as a student. I shared a story about making my Chemistry teacher, Sister Justine, cry (not one of my prouder moments). I also shared a story about a Geometry teacher who told my mother there was something wrong with me because I could not learn the material. This last story really has impacted my desire to work with struggling students. I believe that students do hold a certain degree of ownership in their own learning, but teachers should provide opportunities for students to demonstrate their learning in a safe, comfortable way. Mrs. G, my Geometry teacher, assumed I was dumb because I didn't get the material. I know I have been frustrated with students because they just didn't get something. I think the key question to address is did I provide my students with an opportunity to demonstrate their learning at their level, not mine?
I really do love lunch, and I love that my colleagues challenge, question, and share pieces of themselves in a constructive and sometimes humorous manner. Don't get me wrong, our conversations are not all "teacher talk." Just sit down with our funky French teacher and you will go places you have never been before. I love professional lunch development.

1 comment:

Strength/Courage/Wisdom said...

that is so true (complaining = lunch room). i'm facing my own cafeteria drama lately!