Thursday, February 21, 2008

International Reading Association


During our last department meeting, many teachers expressed concerns about the decline in proficient readers. This is a concern I have heard over and over again. When I went to the TRLD conference this past January, I went to a really informative session on developing confident, eager, and fluent readers. During the session, the presenter, Scott Marfilius made the comment that EVERY TEACHER needs to be a reading teacher. In a way, I agree. While reading tasks may differ from content areas, subject-specific teachers have the opportunity and qualifications to teach students how to actively think about texts in their particular classes. During the session, Scott presented effective reading comprehension strategies and before/during/after reading strategies. If you are interested in how to incorporate reading strategies into your content area please come see me.

One other great find is the International Reading Association podcast. Listen and let me know what you think.

No comments: